Monday, February 7, 2022

Use Your Illusion VI


...dring dring...dring dring...dring dring...dring dring... - I pick up the telephone.


"Hello, Best Promos, you're speaking with Kevin, how may we help you?"

"At the start of 2021 I realised I hadn't paid much attention to my own productions lately..."

"Ok, let me stop you there. Who may I say is speaking, sir?"

"Rather spending time doing remixes or mixdowns for others or like many others, worrying over what the future will bring."

"Pardon?"

"I started going through tracks and ideas I had started on but not completed and now as another annus horribilis nears the end I have 2 albums ready for 2022 release, entitled "8" and "9".

"8 and 9? Who is this, please?"

"Although I promised myself to never say it, I personally think they're my best work so far and I hope someone else will get the feeling of "a light at the end of the tunnel" when listening to these tracks just like I feel when listening back to them."

"Is that Prins Thomas again?"

"There are contributions from the very capable hands of Bugge Wesseltoft ("8") and John Carroll Kirby (on both "8" and "9"), besides that it's just me."

"Prins Thomas? Hello? Hello? Are you still there? Prins?"

Prins Thomas may have hung up on me (as usual), but I was left in no doubt that he had a couple of new albums completed and coming out soon - 8 and 9 are both released on 25 March 2022 on Prins Thomas Musikk, and I was lucky enough to get chatting with a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of a Norwegian friend of a friend of Lindstrøm, who is a friend of Prins Thomas, who knew a friend of a friend of Prins Thomas's receptionist at Prins Thomas Musikk, who put me in touch with a friend of a friend of a friend who works for the Managing Director at Hypercolour, who sent my details to the office junior at HYPE Filter, who excitedly emailed me all of the MP3s of 8 and 9 for me to listen to before anyone else in the whole wide world!

I'll review it properly on here nearer the release date because, to be honest, I still need to listen to it all properly. I have made some notes, though:

Cool. Futuristic, but also a bit 80s. Blade Runner and acid sandwich. Cool Coronas - makes me want to listen to Chromeo's DJ Kicks CD again. Misread Evig Ung as Evil Ung, which completely recontextualised the piece of music in my head before I realised my mistake. Love Layback Rollout. Excellent album. Great sounds. Cool.

As I said, I'll flesh out those notes in the coming weeks and knock out a proper review then. In the meantime, I'm providing this album with a MASSIVE, and provisional, 10/10

Pre-order 8 by Prins Thomas here: Prins Thomas - 8
Pre-order 9 by Prins Thomas here: Prins Thomas - 9
Follow Prins Thomas on Twitter: @prins_thomas


FIFA 19's Confidence Man, you'll be flabbergasted to know, is not one man. There are four of them, I think, so you'd imagine that they should be called Confidence Men, wouldn't you? Well, again, you're wrong and you're a grotesquely ugly freak, because there are boys AND girls in Confidence Man, and I reckon they'll be changing their name to Confidence Person and sending out an apologetic Tweet to anyone who may have been offended by their band name in under two years, after they get more famous, do you know what I mean? World's gone mad, innit? We're all going to Hell in a handcart...and I'll pull the lever! Unless, actually, it's supposed to be read as, "Confidence, Man!" like they are celebrating the concept of self-assurance. Maybe they could say that. I don't know.

The new album by Confidence Man (it doesn't offend me) is called TILT, and if you don't pre-order it today, you'd be round the twist! I've listened to Holiday a few times, and it really makes you feel like you're on holiday - especially the bit on about 3:30 mins, so it's a yes from me. The video has got Janet Planet and Sugar Bones singing the song in a hot air balloon and, whilst incredibly dangerous, it looks like a lorra, lorra fun.

"If you like that, you're gonna love this..."  Feels Like A Different Thing is brilliant. It's got great vocals, good music, a fun video that's about cars, whips and caves, and a feel about it that if I told you they were signed to Heavenly, you'd say, "Yes. I get it. Of course they are."

There are a WHOPPING ten other songs on TILT that I've not got promo copies of, so I can't review them yet, but when it comes out proper, I'll buy the full album because based on what I've heard of Confidence Man so far - and they look like a laugh, to be honest - I can only award this album a 10/10

Pre-order TILT by Confidence Man: TILT by Confidence Man
Follow Confidence Man on Twitter: @confidencemanTM


If Jimmy Carr was that dangerous and edgy, he should call his next Netflix special CONTENT REMOVED BY BEST PROMOS LAWYERS and do an hour of CONTENT REMOVED BY BEST PROMOS LAWYERS jokes in front of an audience of CONTENT REMOVED BY BEST PROMOS LAWYERS at the back of the CONTENT REMOVED BY BEST PROMOS LAWYERS without any backup or security.

#RantOver

What else have I been listening to? Hmm. I taught myself how to play a piece of classical music on the piano last night, but I don't know what it's called.



If any readers of Best Promos knows what that music is called, please let me know ASAP because it's doing my head in.

Best Promos one-handed piano playing - 10/10

I think that's me done for today. I'm now going to watch the last two episodes of Cobra Kai Season 4 with a nice cup of tea and a think ahead to what the future of Best Promos could bring. Maybe I'll get a job writing Prins Thomas's future promo packs, maybe Confidence Man will send me 2 x VIP AAA tickets for their upcoming Thursday 5 May 2022 gig at Kentish Town (tickets available at a very affordable £23.50: TICKETS LINK )

Anything in life can happen if you just believe. Gosh darn it, you can become an astronaut, an IT analyst in a local government organisation or even the President of the United States of America if you just find the strength inside to accomplish your dreams.

Email me: bestpromos4eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...