Friday, February 18, 2022

I 8 Wolves


Whenever I feel down in the dumps, I pick up my signed first edition of The Secret DJ Book Two, slowly glide my fingers across the black and vibrant glossy cover, close my eyes and wonder where the Secret DJ is playing right now, wishing I was sharing an intense b2b cocktail bar set with him or her on a Goa beach. I meditate for what feels like literally ninety seconds, mindlessly and soulfully caressing the culturally entertaining tome in my strangely appealing hands before the sound of our bins toppling over outside suddenly snaps me out of it in a very sudden, snapping way - Storm Dudley or Storm Eunice has hit Eastcote. I then squint and summon all of my remaining strength to tap my favourite ping pong ball up in the air for five minutes or so with the book, the book...The Secret DJ Book Two.

This activity always lifts my spirits enough for me to turn my PC on and listen to some more promos from HYPE Filter. They're the only ones sending me stuff at the moment. I'm not complaining, but if there are any other promo shops who want their music pushed and honestly reviewed on the best written blog in the whole of Ruislip, email me here:

bestpromos4eva@gmail.com

Also, buy The Secret DJ Book Two on Velocity Press: The Secret DJ BOOK TWO

I tried to get on the Special Requests list the other day, but I was politely declined for not being a proper DJ. It was a disappointing set back, but fair enough. I'll keep flirting with labels like Heavenly, Running Back, Pampa, Jin, etc., and see what happens. In the mean time, we continue with this load of old rubbish unique dance blog.


I'll tell you what, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I can't keep up with Roman Flügel! I've been a big fan of his for years. He's a top, top DJ, he's a top, top producer, I like his name, he looks cool - a bit like an Andy Warhol who eats his greens - and I follow him on Bandcamp, so when the Mega EP popped up last week, I happily put my hands in my pockets and paid a fiver for the WAVs. Mega has the best opening track to any EP I've listened to in ages, no wonder he called it Mega; it's mega! It starts with one of them 80s synth stab noises, follows with bars and bars of galloping cowbells, fast drums and loads of jolly bass lines and synths. It's nostalgic, yet futuristic. It's like F.T. Marinetti minus the fascism.

What comes next is Rules. It's slower than Mega, and if I look at my notes I can see that I've compared it to So... by Soft Cell. Listening back, I'm not sure of that any more, it's still a good song, though.

Song title-wise, after Rules, Roman Flügel gets really lazy. The last three tracks are called Film 1, Film 2 and Film 3! I'm not being funny, but come on. I mean. Err. KWIM?! Jeeeeeez. I would have used my imagination and called them:
  • Film
  • Netflix And Chill
  • Popcorn Dreams (Where I Wanna Be)
Film 1 and Film 2 are both fast-paced electronica tracks, and you could easily play them in a set to thousands of dance fans in a field as the sun comes up, or something. I'm not sure. I haven't got a clue what's going on in Film 3; sometimes it's slow, sometimes it's fast, and I don't know what time signature it's sitting on, but it's still fab.


I love Roman Flügel and I love this Mega EP, I'll give it a healthy 10/10

Buy Mega hereMega EP
Follow Roman Flügel on Twitter@romanfluegel

When I said earlier that I can't keep up with Roman Flügel, I meant this:

On Monday, another little pop-up popped up on my computer screen to say that Roman Flügel had released ANOTHER EP, Desperate Housemen. After scrabbling around for another five pound note, I listened to Desperate Housemen all day on a loop whilst reading The Secret DJ Book Two (and what a read, by the way - especially the chapter at the beginning called Praise for the Secret DJ. If selected extracts of this blog aren't used in Praise for the Secret DJ in The Secret DJ Book Nine, I'll be knocked sideways by a wisp of cotton candy). Anyway, Desperate Housemen, like Mega, is another excellent addition to my external SSD drive. It's more clubby than Mega, so I'll be playing it at home on my little Pioneer controller and pretending that I'm a headliner at Printworks. At the end of the day, I went to bed and dreamed of the time Erol Alkan played Parade d'amour at Wide Awake last year.


I'll give Desperate Housemen a BANGING 10/10

Buy it hereDesperate Housemen
Follow Roman Flügel on Twitter@romanfluegel


When I woke up, there was a notification on phone to say that Roman Flügel had released something else! I opened it up and there was an EP called Cookie Dust staring back at me, the displaced, missing chocolate chips disconsolately wondering where they are as the waved lines of flour whip themselves sensually and medically around the soft-angled baked dough, transforming the object of the viewer's, hmm, desire, to that of a heart organ - the artist playfully deceiving our Neanderthal eyes and forcing us to imagine a colourful/colourless future world where one would not love with all of our heart a chocolate chip cookie. It's a very powerful image, and it is one that will sit with me until I'm a dead body.

I'd say Cookie Dust is more similar to Mega, in that it's not as full-on dancefloor as Desperate Housemen. It's even got a hip-hop type instrumental thing on track 2 called Thank You Jack, which is no bad thing. I'm going to play that at home and pretend I'm warming up for DJ Yoda at Spiritland.


Well, if I had a gun to my head, I'd have to award Cookie Dust with a pure 10/10

Buy it here: Cookie Dust
Follow Roman Flügel on Twitter@romanfluegel


Next Tuesday, I'm going to watch Damon Albarn out of Blur at The Barbican and then go home, have a cup of tea, catch up on Celebs Go Dating and get a good night's sleep. Or am I? I'm definitely going to see Damon Albarn out of Blur, but I'm not sure if I'll be going directly home afterwards because, you understand, The Social Tweeted this the other day:


As you can see, I retweeted it to my hundreds of followers, so I'm not sure if there'll be any tickets left after that push, to be honest, but it'll be worth a try. You can't argue with Man Power, you can't argue with Juan Maclean, you can't argue with a venue like The Social and you certainly can't argue with Megan Leo.

I might come and steal some more beer mats. Actually, I've just remembered one of my favourite all time tracks by Juan Maclean. If they can confirm TODAY that they'll be playing this one, I'll definitely come down and spend an absolute fortune on bucks fizz AND lager and crisps. We can then put a photo of the receipt on social media. Listen:


Check out the details and tickets hereMe Me Me School Night Showcase
Follow Man Power on Twitter@Man_Power_Music
Follow Juan Maclean on Twitter@juanmaclean
Follow The Social on Twitter@thesociallondon
Follow Damon Albarn on Twitter@Damonalbarn

Over the next few days, I'll be listening to the new Transparências LP by Violet, the new Narcissus EP by Herman and the new Clastic Music album by vigliensoni. I'll be honest, I've never heard of any of these people, but I've been sent the promos, and I've downloaded the WAVs, so it would be impolite of me not to listen to them all in full and thoroughly review them on here.

WOULDN'T IT?


Email me YOUR best promos: bestpromos4eva@gmail.com
Tweet me: @BestPromos4Eva


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...