Friday, February 11, 2022

7 x 7 + 7 ÷ 7 - 7 = seven


Not a lot of people know this, but Norman Wisdom's great, great, great, great nephew is Ocean Wisdom; the fastest rapper in the world. He is the fastest rapper. No, not K.A.A.N, not heyday Eminem. No, not the bloke out of Outkast. Ocean Wisdom is. Fact.

I said, "Fact", in a David Brent voice. LOL.

I said, "Not a lot of people know this", in a Michael Caine voice. Tee hee.

That was fact number one. Fact number two is the fact that Ricardo Villalobos was ROBBED in the Best Gender Neutral Foreign Minimal Techno DJ category at The Brits the other night. How Tiefschwarz won it was a mystery to me AND all of the other disappointed punters watching the ceremony in the Geo Bar, situated perfectly on Eastcote's fashionable Field End Road.

I'd put £300 on Ricky V, and all. Poor me. I'm going to cheer myself up by listening to some fab dance songs...mmm...dance music...mmm...


...Brain de Palma, which is an ingeniously playful play on the name of the famous Senior Accountant's name at CUBEX LLC, comes at us strong, forceful and full of muscle with this new release, Purple Brain, on Peggy Gou's label, Gudu Records.


If my sources at HYPE Filter PR are telling the truth, then this is Brain's second release for Peggy, but he's been knocking about for the last ten years as Panama Keys and as the other half of Stump Valley - ahh, hang on! They're the ones who did that lovely Melodj Mecca record on Soul Clap last year, aren't they? I enjoyed that one. Excellent.

The Purple Brain EP is a bit more banging than the stuff he was involved with on Soul Clap, but that's to be expected...isn't it? Put Stump Valley on early evening, whack Brain De Palma on around midnight. It's got four songs on this EP:

IQarus has loads of repetitive beats and a bassline that also repeats itself repeatedly. It's a brilliant song and it really whetted my appetite for more dance music from Brian, I mean, Brain. Mmm...dance music...


The second song is a remix of the first one. It's a bit like on Global Underground 005 when Tony De Vit plays two versions of Nuclear Shower by UK Gold. Actually, come to think of it: Brain DE Palma...Tony DE Vit...having two versions of the same track on the same release...spooky...

...my favourite song on Purple Brain is Purple Brain. It starts off like he's messing about on Ableton, and then it surprises you by starting to actually sound like a good piece of music. It features an all-female choir singing, "ahhhhh", quite a few cowbells and a space-age top line, or as the PR says: an unforgettable arpeggio with stargazing stabs and a marching cowbell beat.

After that, you've got O.W.D. Once Were Dancers which, disappointingly, doesn't sample the, "cook the man some fucking eggs!" line from the film I'm thinking of. I phoned up Brain to press him on this and to probe for a little bit of background on the EP as a whole...

"Hi, Brain, Best Promos here, thanks for speaking with us. How are you?"

“This EP is dedicated to all the ravers, DJs, aficionados who had to go through the lockdowns … a shout out to people who keep on fighting for the underground culture!”

"Thanks Brain."

If I had a runny egg to my head, I'd give Purple Brain by Brain De Palma a sensational 10/10 !!

Buy it herePurple Brain EP
Follow Stump Valley (I can't find owt else for Brain or Alexi Versino) here@StumpValley

One of the great things about being in the dance music scene is the sense of community and support we all have for one another. One of our favourite labels here at Best Promos is Disco Halal. It's a great name for a label, Moscoman is a brilliant DJ/producer, and I love the stuff on it that has that Eastern flavour, which is most of it, but what I love most of all is the personal touch that you get with Disco Halal. I opened up my inbox the other day, and I was touched - touched - by what I read in an email screen-grabbed below:


They didn't need to do that, but what can I say, Disco Halal are great guys.

My Name Is Omri Dot is four tracks of dance music...mmm...dance music...by Omri Dot that doesn't stop making you dance until the music stops. It's that good. Ch-ch-check out this track-by-track review I'm about to write:

I did listen to it, but I forgot what Snakes In The Bed sounds like. It's bound to be good, though. You should always place your best track first on the running order to grab the listener's attention. It's an industry rule.

The Great Illusion has got a creepy man that sounds like YOUR grandad saying, "the PlayStation", which I interpreted as a commentary on the amount of time kids sit glued to the screen instead of getting outside with their friends, making dens and annoying the neighbours, and it's an aspect of modern life that YOUR grandad doesn't understand. It confuses him. And it makes him feel sad.

:'-(


Snare Boer sounds like a minimal techno dub remix of It Takes Time To Build by Beastie Boys...by Ricardo Villalobos...in 2007...which is no bad thing.

The Spotlight is a right rag-tag bunch of different sounds, vocals and effects. Break beats here, echos there, bit crusher fills over here, echos there, rolling clavs here and echos there. Quality track. It's also got cymbals on the 1, sometimes.

I would give this EP a massive 10/10...in fact, I will give it a massive 10/10

Buy it hereMy Name Is Omri Dot
Follow Disco Halal here@DiscoHalal

To end this week's edition of Best Promos, I'd like to push and shove you in the direction of Ransom Note's fab Netil Radio show, The Ransom Note Dispatch, on Netil Radio by the guys at Ransom Note, who are now doing these shows for Netil Radio that are written and presented by Ransom Note but for Netil Radio, who broadcast these transmissions live and as it happens on Netil Radio, and also have them recorded for Soundcloud, but it's by the fab Ransom Note guys at Ransom Note.


The latest episode featured a fab track on it called Jelly by Yetsuby on Jin. It's an Eden Burns remix, and not only is it brilliant, it also sent me off on a two-track wormhole of fab music. The Eden Burns Jelly remix has got that fab, "dun dun-dun dun dun dun dun dun dun...", vocal that is also used to great effect in Show Me Love by The Fruit Loop, which itself borrowed heavily from It's Just An Ecstasy by Project XYZ. Dance Music really is just simply fab. Everything is connected, man...PLUR, etc.

Ransom Note will be premiering Jelly (Eden Burns Remix) by Yetsuby next week, so stop, look and listen when that happens.

I'm off now. Ta'ra.

Email me: bestpromos4eva@gmail.com
Tweet me: @BestPromos4Eva


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...