Monday, January 30, 2023

Weird Weekendz


Best Promos is back due to PHENOMENAL demand and we're coming LIVE from the Pontiac Dome in Ruislip!

Only joking. We're coming PRE-RECORDED from my 3-bed semi in Eastcote! LOL

That picture you can see at the top of this page was lovingly created by me last week, but it now holds a clearer resonance (a what??) due to a wrong DJ opinion on Twitter this morning. Moody-looking, long haired layabout dance DJ, Daniel Avery, incorrectly Tweeted this to his MILLIONS of Followers:

Will anything ever top the 92 Rumble? Hell yes.

Let me tell you something. Royal Rumble '92 was good, I grant you, but SummerSlam '91 was better.

Better how?

Just better.

And it had the brilliant Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth wedding reception where The Undertaker and Jake "The Snake" burst in and battered Macho Man after Miss Elizabeth opened a wedding gift and a massive cobra popped out and tried to bite her. I just thank God Sid Justice was there with a fold-up chair to save them. I really do thank God for that.


Can you imagine if that happened to you? You've just married the love of your life, you're in the middle of enjoying a wonderful reception with friends and family, a classy band are playing classy music and life simply can't get any better. All of a sudden, a couple of musclemen in fancy dress burst in kicking tables over and attacking everyone in sight, including you and your newlywed. It must have been terrifying for Randy and Elizabeth.

So, I'm sorry Mr. Avery, but I have to violently disagree with you on your ill-informed Tweet. SummerSlam '91 was better than Royal Rumble '92. And no mistake!

I think the 1990 Survivor Series might be better than it, too. Sgt. Slaughter was still in his Iraqi backing, anti-American phase, which was hilarious. I think he was a goodie by 1992.

So, SummerSlam '91 gets a MACHO 10/10 from everyone here at Best Promos.


Do you like 90s raves? You do? Ok. Do you like mega-raves? Hell yes? Great. Do you like odes to 90s mega-raves, then? What's an ode to a 90s mega rave when it's at home? Well, have a listen to this and then read what I've written about it below:


That was So Good by ARKLEY, and if he doesn't mind me saying so, it's so good. LOL. I'd never heard of ARKLEY before, but his PR person wrote an endearingly polite email to us asking for coverage, so I'm happy to oblige. Manners cost nothing, and in Eastcote, do they go a long way? Hell yes they go a long way.

Part of my thinking is also this: ARKLEY is a handsome, young Scottish producer who makes nostalgic dance music. He's got some designer stubble. The BBC like him. He could be the next Calvin Harris. He might become a billionaire. He might remember Best Promos on his way up. He might trust us as his fourth estate. He might grant Best Promos his exclusives. He might fly us to Las Vegas to cover his multi-summer residencies. He might buy me a proper pair of CDJs so I don't have to limp on with my little controller. He might introduce me to Louis Theroux when he does his glossy documentary.

With all of these possibilities whirling around my head like birds and stars, I proudly join Judge Jules in throwing my full weight behind ARKLEY and all of his future endeavours, starting with his Channel A EP, which comes out on Friday 10 February.

Channel A is a right royal 10/10 release.

Buy the single, So Good, hereARKLEY - SO GOOD
Follow ARKLEY on Twitter@arkleymusic
Follow ARKLEY on Instagram/arkleymusic/


Speaking of Friday 10 February, my old chums at the Ran$om Note begin a BRAND NEW monthly residency at the best central London bar/club in the whole of central London: The Social. Last year, I made every effort to start a Best Promos hard house night at The Social with James O'Brien off of LBC, but my argument for it wasn't strong enough and I eventually stopped phoning in to ask him. He monologued me to death and made me cry LIVE on air.

My other idea is for Louis Theroux to do a hip-hop night at The Social under the Best Promos banner. I could play some really cool Balearic and yacht rock NTS type stuff upstairs with Pete Fowler whilst Louis Theroux and his mates play their favourite rap songs in the basement. I think it would be a really good night, so I'm going to tag Louis in on today's post and see what happens. We could call it Weird Weekendz or something.


I wonder if it'd be as good as the Ran$om Note Pleasure Pool night, though? Pleasure Pool themselves will be playing live for the first time in London, and if you've never heard of them; they're a really cool and trendy band who play really cool and trendy dance music. Think Hot Chip chopped up and chucked in a blender with a mashed up Chromeo and sprinkled with hundreds and thousands of Teleman B-sides.

No. They're not the bands or references I really wanted to use there, but I'm getting a bit tired now and I couldn't think of the ones I actually meant. Sorry.

And if you think THAT will be cool, wait until you hear about the DJs who are playing in support! Carly G, Matty C and Ally McTropical are all manning, I mean, personing the decks. Does life get any better...?

Will this be a 10/10 night? Hell yes.

Buy tickets herePleasure Pool at The Social
Buy the Pleasure Pool LP, Love Without IllusionLove Without Illusion
Follow Pleasure Pool on Instagram
Follow Ran$om Note on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow The Social on Twitter and on Instagram

That was a good post, I think. I think that was a good post. Was it? I don't know. Part of me thinks it was a really good one, the other part of me thinks it was r-r-r-r-r-r-r-rubbish.

Get in touch on the means below to let me know if you think today's post was really good or really rubbish.

Email me: BestPromos4Eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva
Instagram me/bestpromos4eva/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...