Wednesday, July 13, 2022

A Rose Between Two Slags

If you've not watched the new Better Call Saul episode yet, don't bother reading the second section of today's post, because I'll be talking about what happened in it. They call that a "spoiler" in Hollywood.

Look at me with my trendy words! LOL

Until I get to that bit, have a look at this bit:

Everyone knows that EastEnders is the best UK series on the telly. Whilst still in it's first season, EastEnders carries a maturity and a familiarity that usually comes about three seasons in on one of your wishy-washy American box-sets. My favourite characters, so far, are Sharon Mitchell, Kat Mitchell and Phil Mitchell.

Ahh, Phil Mitchell. A rose between two slags. Recently, he's been at a love crossroads. Turn left for a slag called Sharon, turn right for a slag called Kat. He's spoiled for choice, bless him. I'm not fully caught up on this week's episodes, but the last thing I saw was him almost telling Sharon he loves her before shouting at her for wanting to shag Grant and then sprinting across the Square to tell Kat he actually loves her instead and that he wants to be with her forever and to be a faaaaaaamily. That scene ended with Phil and Kat having a sensual snog in her front room. I bet by the end of the week, he'll be having a 2-in-a-bed romp with Sharon!

Oink oink.


Speaking of things in the UK, Manni Dee has got a new 3-in-a-bed EP coming out on his erotically named label, Silk + Steel. It's called The World Goes On Without You - which sounds like the kind of title Morrissey would name a ballad - and it's r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-really good. I'm not on Manni Dee's promo list, so I've only listened to the one I bought on Bandcamp last night, The Remedy. I'll be able to listen to the other two tracks on Friday, Pillow Princess and See Me Now, unless I buy the wristband. Then I'll have Clasp and Pillow Princess (Instrumental). Yeah, I should do that. Although, they're limited to 50. They might have sold out by the time I finish this post.

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. The World Goes On Without You is out on Friday 15 July, but you can pre-order the digital EP NOW and get to download The Remedy TODAY or you can buy a USB wrist band and get the EP plus two bonus songs.

Yes, that makes more sense.


The Remedy is ace. It starts off as a fast techno-type thing with a really loud kick drum and a man with a high-pitched voice saying "bah" every two beats. This goes on for a bit before another man with a deeper voice starts rapping about where to store his microphone. It's brilliant. What stands this out from loads of other West Midlands techno, though, is the bit in the middle where the beats slow down to a scary hip-hop pattern and Di-Vincent starts rapping about knives and forks! How many other techno songs have you heard do that? None. This is why Manni Dee is not only a great bloke, he's also one of the most innovative and exciting producers in the UK today.

#HOG4EVA

Like I said earlier, I've not heard the other two tracks yet, but if the PR stuff on them is anything to go by, we're in for a treat:

Pillow Princess is a "nasty mutation (not sure if I like the sound of that, actually) of hyperpop and techno", and See Me Now is a "straight up banger with a terrifying synth-driven melody and a big f*ck-you bassline"!

If I had to compare Manni Dee to a character in EastEnders, I'd have to say Jay Brown. They're both nice young men with a lot going for them.


The World Goes On Without You. I do love that title. Should I give it a 10/10? Hmm. Yes! This get's 10/10. Well done, Jay, I mean, Manni Dee.

The World Goes On Without You is out on Friday 15 July on Silk + Steel

Pre-order it hereManni Dee - The World Goes On Without You
Follow Manni Dee on Instagram@ManniDeeUK


Right, Better Call Saul. Everyone says that this is the best programme ever, and that it's better than Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, This Is Us, Ozark, The Inbetweeners, Russell Brand's Ponderland, The Wire and EastEnders put together, but is it? Is it really?

It might be. I do love it, and I do look forward to watching it every Tuesday lunchtime, and I do always treat myself to a Yorkie Duo and a grab bag of Skips to enjoy whilst I watch it. Maybe it is better than This Is Us after all. It's not as good as EastEnders, but it is definitely better than Ozark. Howard, I mean, however, this week's episode had me conflicted. Why oh why oh why was Lalo being such a big show off when he had Gus where he wanted him?! All he had to do was have Gus open the big laundry door, have a very quick peek inside, film it from that balcony and then kidnap Gus and drive him down to Mexico so that he and Don Eladio could torture him to death.

That's what I would have done.

It was a great episode, but as soon as Lalo started bragging loads and was taking too much time cracking jokes into the camcorder, I knew he was going to peg it. It did my head in a bit.

Speaking of people who have been to Mexico, Daniel "Mr. Drone Logic" Avery's Ultra Truth is STILL available to pre-order on Bandcamp. I did a brilliant write-up of his Chaos Energy song on here a while ago, and that review and score out of ten is still valid for up to 12 months. I don't need to review or score it again until 21 June 2023, but what I will say is this...I don't know...

...I did start off this bit thinking I'd write something funny about me (seriously) suggesting to Confidence Man that Ivan Smagghe would be a good remixer option for TILT and Daniel Avery commenting in a very waggish manner that Carlos Santana and a bloke out of Matchbox Twenty should remix them, but I can't think of anything better to add to that particular exchange. Sorry. Sub-consciously, I think I've only included this bit in a brazen, desperate attempt to get noticed by some of my favourite DJs and artists.



If I had to compare Daniel Avery to a character in Ozark, I'd go with Wyatt Langmore because they've both got long, scruffy hair.


Err, Ultra Truth is out on 4 November 2022 on Phantasy and it'll probably still be a 10/10 on here.

BREAKING NEWS - Higher by Daniel Avery is out now, so there you go, a proper reason to include the stuff about him today. It's really good. 10/10



Buy Higher hereHigher | Daniel Avery
Pre-order Chaos Energy hereChaos Energy
Follow Daniel Avery on Twitter@danielmarkavery
Follow Daniel Avery on Instagram: /danielmarkavery/
Follow Phantasy on Twitter@phantasysound
Follow Phantasy on Instagram/phantasysound/

And finally, a brand new promo has just flown into my inbox from HYPE Filter. It's a track by Roska, and it's called Call Mi. Call Mi features なかむらみなみ (that's easy for you to say!), Sweetie Irie, Serocee & Flowdan. I've heard of Roska, but not the others, so I was dead excited to have a listen to it.

Have a listen for yourself...it's got nothing to do with anything off the telly...



...it's good isn't it? I'm going to put this on a mix for the car and I bet the kids are going to like it. I don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to this kind of music, but it sounds like a jollier version of Boasty by Wiley, which is no bad thing at all.

What else? Call Mi is versatile...to the max. It will not only sound wicked-bad on a massive sound system in Barbados, it'll sound just as radical being blasted out of a massive, croaking sub-woofer in the back of your dad's Ford Fiesta as you cruise it around that estate I was talking about in the previous post. I'll tell you THAT...jabroni!

And another thing, I really like the cover artwork. It makes me feel like I'm coming out of a really bad k-hole. I'm sat in the corner of a really annoying stranger's living room at their after-party on Christmas morning, the festive lights are slowly coming back into focus and I'm feeling happy again. Where are my shoes? There they are, just where I left them. Merry Christmas, everyone. Merry Christmas! I will be back home to see my wife and kids for lunch and the Queen's speech!

Let me raise a toast. 10/10 for Roska on today's new release, Call Mi. To Roska!

"Roska!"

Call Mi by Roska feat. なかむらみなみ, Sweetie Irie, Serocee & Flowdan is OUT NOW on Roska Kicks & Snares.

Buy it here: Roska - Call Mi 
Follow Roska on Twitter: @RoskaOfficial
Follow Roska on Instagram/roskaofficial/

Almost forgot. Sorry Roska. If I had to compare Roska to a character in EastEnders, it would have to be Simon Wicks because the bloke who plays him, Nick Berry, is also a successful musician.


Notices.

  • If any DJs or producers want to be interviewed on here, let me know and I'll email you some questions.

  • If anyone wants to put me on some different promo lists, that would be ace. Thanks. I listen to and review EVERYTHING I get.

  • I am also open to reviewing events.

  • I am the best writer in dance.

Enough about me! LOL. I'll be back next week with some more Best Promos. Thank you for reading, everyone. Goodnight! Bye!

Email me on : BestPromos4Eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva
Instagram me/BestPromos4Eva/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...