Monday, July 4, 2022

Party of Special Things to Write About


Not only is he breathtakingly good at playing the guitar, Jack White is also a big copy cat. First, he copies Berghain by BANNING mobile phones from his gigs, then he copies Katy Perry by dying his hair blue, and now he's copying something else by doing something!!!! LOL

I went to watch Jack White at the Hammersmith Apollo last night and it was brilliant. Best Promos mega-fans will remember that I went to see Damon Albarn earlier this year and it was good, but a bit dull because he just sat at his piano and noodled for an hour and a half, and didn't do any Blur stuff. I say "good", but "interesting" is probably the word I should have used, or "really, really boring". Everyone was pretending to like it, but deep down, I don't think they were. That's the problem with trendy music, sometimes you have to say the right things just to keep socially afloat, even if you don't really believe it.

Every other song Jack White played last night was a White Stripes song, so he made it impossible for me to come on here today and say it was boring. Thanks, Jack. I can't remember the full set list because I was drunk, but I did manage to push myself to the back of the mosh pit area. I wanted to crowd surf, but nobody else was doing it, and I was too shy to ask the woman next to me if she'd lift me up.

He ended with Seven Nation Army, but I wish he'd played Black Math instead. But, because of the hair and the phones and the White Stripes songs, I grant Jack White at the Hammersmith Apollo 10/10

Follow Third Man Records on Twitter@thirdmanrecords
Go and see him on tourthirdmanstore/on-tour

That was a very poor review. I'm not a professional, though, so it's alright.


Speaking of Americans, I am pleased to announce that the team here at Best Promos are pleased to announce that we are all pleased to announce that we have now MADE IT in America, and by that, I mean that Best Promos has been "shouted out" on a top rating Milwaukee Twitch feed that literally TENS of Americans around Milwaukee watch each week. Phoole & the Gang is a breathtaking online radio show hosted by a woman called Phoole (real name Dusty-Rose-Darleen Miller-Williams) with madder hair than Jack White and a basement I can only describe as frightening. Each week, Phoole barks enthusiastically about the music she's playing and "shouts out" only the best people and blogs in the world and Milwaukee, so I was as proud as punch when she "shouted out" Best Promos last week. Thanks, Phoole!

Watching Phoole & the Gang is like watching The Big Breakfast, but with everything except the Zig and Zag bits spliced out, and that can only be an excellent thing, so it gets a very special 10/10 from everyone here at Best Promos.

Become a Phooligan and connect/watch/whatever the stuff that Phoole does, because she's a sound person and it's nice to be nice.

Follow Phoole on Twitter@Phoole
Follow Phoole on Twitchtwitch.tv/phoole
Follow Phoole on Instagram/phooleofficial/
All Phoole stuff hereffm.bio/phoole

Bloody hell, I forgot that this is a dance music review website. Sorry, readers!

DANCE MUSIC

I was having a chat with Enno Lombaert at Dispersion PR last night whilst waiting for a taxi at Rayners Lane. I phoned him up to see if he'd watched that night's EastEnders.

Hi mate, did you watch EastEnders tonight? Don't tell me what happened, but was it good?

"Parker’s hi-NRG, euro disco, nu-beat and energetic house leanings are distilled into Love Me Love Me, a vocodered 80s stomp, glistening with love and sweat, and zero tears in sight."

What? How's Sam Mitchell? Don't tell me what happened, but is she going to be alright?

"Following the Radio 1 hammered Kiss on Saved earlier this year and 2021's Somebody Scream/You’re One of a Kind on Trick, Parker is no stranger to ‘big tunes’."

What do you mean? I'm talking about Sam Mitchell being shot in the club the other night. I've been at the Jack White gig tonight, so I don't know if she's alright. Again, I don't want the details because I'll catch up tomorrow. I just want to know if Sam is going to pull through. Only, she's one of my favourite characters at the moment.

"His output for Rekids, E-Missions and Work Them Records marks him out as an artist who is as adept at crafting deep, underground house and techno as he at creating peak time, crossover club hits."

Forget it.


I hung up and listened to the white label MP3 of Love Me Love Me by Spencer Parker full blast on my phone outside Chicken Cottage. It's breathtaking Italo at it's breathtaking best, and it'll get played in clubs from Milwaukee to Timbuktu. Mark my words. The best bit is when Spencer Parker starts singing, "love me, love me, love me, love me..." in a funny female robot voice.

The teenagers in Chicken Cottage were all dancing and pointing at me with massive smiles on their faces. The bloke serving the chicken was whooping and hollering at me whilst doing that finger click thing that Patrick always does on EastEnders. I shouted, "yeah man!" and began to march on the spot with my head down when the taxi driver arrived. When he heard Love Me Love Me blaring out of my phone, he got out the car and asked me for a rewind. I said no, sorry, I'm tired, so he drove me home. It's a great tune, though, so it gets a WHOPPING 10/10 from me! Even the radio edit is good.

Love Me Love Me by Spencer Parker is out on Work Them Records on Friday 15 July. I'll embed some videos or SoundCloud stuff when it gets out on the web...

Keep refreshing this Bandcamp page until it appears as a pre-orderWork Them Records
Follow Spencer Parker on Twitter@spencer_parker and Instagram/spencerparkermusic/
Follow Work Them Records on Instagram/workthemrecords/

Three posts in three days. This is like when I used to write the daily Hotflush blog for Scuba! I should stick to one per week because by day three, the energy and the quality of my writing nosedives. Today's post proves it. LOL

Anyway...


Just a gentle reminder to buy the new Ambient Babestation Meltdown and JBS EP: Who Goes There EP

Just a gentle reminder to buy the new Robotek Reagan EP: transhuman love affair

Just a gentle reminder to keep reading Best Promos and spreading it all over your social media channels. I'm not on Facebook. I get Twitter, I barely understand what I'm doing on Instagram and Tik Tok can eff off.

Just a gentle reminder that I'll be back next week with some more deep dives into the world of dance music. Definitely not writing any more posts this week. Definitely.

Email me on : BestPromos4Eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva
Instagram me/BestPromos4Eva/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...