Friday, July 22, 2022

Pashernate Love (Joy Orbison Remix)


"Wednesday night raving crew. Who's got work in the morning? No yawning. Olly olly olly...oi oi oi..."

Really makes you think, doesn't it?

I write today's post with those moving words swishing around my head like wet cement in a plastic bag on a roundabout, and you should study them too, like coursework, because words like them don't not get put down together in that way very often like that, do they?


I was at The Social for Just For You on Wednesday night, the party organised by Joy Orbison (real name, Roy Orbison), and it was grrrrrrrrilliant! I'm still trying to calculate a score in my head for it, but I think it's going to end up being high. Probably a nine or a ten. I arrived in a good mood and with a happy heart because I'd just been to see Frank Skinner at the Phoenix Arts Club, so that was a nice start to the evening, wasn't it, readers? It's not often you'll read a dance music blog and have someone say they went to see Frank Skinner and then Joy Orbison, and that's why Best Promos is the best, or at least: the most different blog in dance.

I had a pint of lager at the bar upstairs before going downstairs and drinking another pint in the middle section of the club. That's four pints of lager including the two pints I drank at Frank Skinner. After that pint, I went for a wee and another pint of lager, which I pushed my way to near the DJ booth to drink. It was then that I noticed I was dancing very earnestly to UK 2-step garage for the very first time. Lady Passion was on and she had an MC with her, barking about how great she is, which was as good as I've made it sound. I'd never been to a garage night before, so I never really got it or listened to much at home, but the energy was bang on. I absolutely loved it.

That bit has made me sound like one of them square coppers who dance at the Notting Hill Carnival and let the kids wear his helmet. LOL. I'm not a square, though, or a pig. I'm definitely not a square.



"MC Riddler B is not only the best MC I've ever heard live, he's the only MC I've ever heard live, and I just saw him MCing live over the brilliant UK 2-step garage that Lady Passion was playing live on vinyl live in that DJ booth, live, there, as it happened in the club, at night, and I loved it! I've only ever really gone to house, techno and minimal techno parties, but this has opened my mind! I love it, man! Yeah! Can I get a rewind selectaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!", I screamed in the ear of the nice, patient man who runs The Social after he'd kindly invited me to the backstage VIP area to discuss terms on a future Best Promos night at The Social. We broadly agreed there and then that Best Promos at The Social is a good idea, and I shared with him my DJing credentials and CV to support my application:
  • I have a Pioneer DDJ-SB3 controller and a laptop with Serato DJ Pro on it, so I know my way around the wheels of steel
  • I have a 1TB disc ramma jamma full of good music, all organised in a very professional way
  • I am on a few promo lists now because of Best Promos, so some of my music is new
  • I have successfully DJ'd at numerous weddings and 40th birthday parties
  • I've got a Disco Halal t-shirt
  • I like The Social and have ploughed at least £100 into it on lager money in the last couple of months
  • I follow Pete Fowler on Twitter
  • See below for the folder structure of my 1TB drive. I have highlighted the genres that get played at The Social all of the time anyway, so I could easily fit in on the bar or something:

Watch out, John Digweed!

So, in summary: Just For You at The Social was really good. Lady Passion and MC Riddler B were properly brilliant. The bloke who was on after Lady Passion was good and Joy Orbison was good, and all. It was comfortably the best Wednesday night I've ever had, and Best Promos will be back to cover the next one.

Just For You at The Social - a whopping 10/10 !!!

Follow The Social on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Joy Orbison on Instagram
Follow Lady Passion on Instagram
Follow MC Riddler B on Instagram

"Alexa! Play Lady Passion!"


LOL. Alexa is always getting it wrong, isn't she?!


Steve Bug is a name you can depend on. I doubt that it's his real name, but it's a fab DJ name. It's punchy, and it always makes me think of Bugged Out!, which is no bad thing. He's got a new single out next week on Poker Flat called The Haze which his PR people were kind enough to email me. I've had a listen and it's r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-really good.

It's got an acid bassline with claps on the 2 and 4 and Ali Love crooning about how he can't see straight because of the summer haze. Have a sit down, Ali, get a nice cup of tea and a Mars bar and re-focus. Maybe undo a few buttons on your shirt and let the air in. In secondary school, Robert Mason accidentally hit me on the head with an iron bar in DT. I couldn't see straight all afternoon and my vision was exactly the same as the predator's alien vision in Predator until about 4pm. You'll see straight again, though, Ali. It'll be alright, mate.





























I'm joking, of course.


































The Haze is the kind of song that you could listen to at The Social during a Best Promos night because it's really, really good. It's so good that the PR guff uses the legendary "low slung" term to describe it and I'm going to store it in my 'DANCE MUSIC' folder as soon as I've published this post! In fact, it's so good that I'm going to score it a mind-boggling 10/10 !!!

The Haze by Steve Bug is out on Friday 29 July 2022 on Poker Flat

Follow Steve Bug on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Ali Love on Instagram
Follow Poker Flat on Twitter and on Instagram


I'm a bit knackered now. I've covered quite a bit on today's post, but I do normally write three reviews, so I'll just say thanks to Matthew Clayton on Twitter for sending me the Bandcamp link to Old Rottenhat's Hi-Fi Vol 1 by Old Rottenhat. I've been listening to it whilst writing this, and it's done an ace job at calming my nerves and relaxing me into the groove of creative writing. Even now, I'm feeling at one with the blog as the hypnotic, soulful fumes of Higher State whisp (is that a word?) and whirl around my head and face and ears. I'd never heard of Old Rottenhat before, but this is a really lovely, funky album, and it's only five pounds.

If I'm being really honest with you (I am), any of these songs would sound good in the bar at The Social..

Hmm, I'm nodding my head in a very serious manner, pointing my fingers at the speakers and tapping my feet in an enigmatic fashion. Only music with a score of 10/10 makes me do that.

Old Rottenhat's Hi​-​Fi Vol 1 by Old Rottenhat is OUT NOW

Buy it hereoldrottenhat.bandcamp.
Follow Old Rottenhat on Twitter

To be even more honest, I'm still a bit hungover after Wednesday night. It's all worth it, though, isn't it, readers?

It is, isn't it?

Isn't it?

I'll be back next week with a brand new item on Best Promos called Really Big Questions where I'll be sharing the details of an EXCLUSIVE interview with Steve Bug. He's talking with me because he likes Best Promos, not because he just wants to plug The Haze.

Email me on : BestPromos4Eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva
Instagram me/BestPromos4Eva/

Rest In Peace, Avery off of EastEnders.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...