Monday, June 27, 2022

Drop Thy Still Dews of Quietness (Sandwell District Remix)


Let me make one thing clear: Best Promos is an emotionally safe space free of bias, conflict, criticism, or potentially threatening actions, ideas, or conversations where you can be yourself and admit to your friends, family and social media channels that it's ok to think Kendrick Lamar was boring at Glastonbury last night and that deep down, at the end of the day, to be fair, Diana Ross, Years and Years, Pet Shop Boys and Jack White were much more fun and better.

I watched the first half an hour of Kendrick Lamar and was pretending to think it was good: I even drafted up a Tweet in response to Terry Farley to say how amazing it was before I got real, deleted it and turned over to the Pet Shop Boys.


Now, this next bit is going to be a bit controversial because I'm calling people out by name, like that song by Guns 2 Roses, Get In My Ring. Read it in your head, or out loud, in an over-the-top Axl Rose voice:

This post goes out to all you punks in the press and on Twitter who don't want to cause controversy by saying Kendrick Lamar wasn't as good as everyone is saying he is, but of course that's just my personal opinion, which we're all entitled to. Maybe you really did think it was brilliant, I'm really sorry about this. I don't mind what people like really, I'm just filling space on this blog. It wasn't my cup of tea, but artists can't be all things to all people, can they? Live and let live, that's what I say in real life, I don't know why I'm being so different and weird online. Sorry. That means you Terry Farley on Twitter, Alexis Petridis, Andy Dawson at Athletico Mince, Andy Daniell at FFFFRRRRRR, Andy Secher at Hit Parader, Circus Magazine. Mick Wall at Kerrang, Bob Guccione Jr. at Spin, what, are you annoyed because I don't read Spin and your dad has snogged more women than you? Stuff you. Get lost. Stop antagonising me. Effing dipstick!

I think they should have had MC Hammer as the headliner instead. Maybe next year.

Kendrick Lamar at Glastonbury 2022 - 10/10 for all those who loved it. Best Promos is all about inclusion.

Pet Shop Boys at Glastonbury 2022 - 10/10

Follow Terry Farley on Twitter: @TerrysTuckShop


Guns 2 Roses at The Robin in Bilston last Thursday night. Great gig. They're better than the proper Guns N Roses for a number of reasons:
  1. Cheaper tickets
  2. Not late on stage
  3. Drinks aren't as expensive as they are at a football stadium
  4. Band members aren't as old/fat
  5. Doesn't go on for three hours so you're able to get the last bus/train/tram
  6. You're able to easily get to the front and watch up close
  7. Their Axl won't call you a "bitch", jump into the audience and boot you inside out with his bouncers if you look at him funny
So, for those reasons, I am granting Guns 2 Roses in Bilston last week an effin' and a jeffin' 10/10 !

Follow Guns 2 Roses on Twitter: @Guns2RosesUK
Follow Guns 2 Roses on Instagram: /Guns2RosesOfficial/
Go and watch them: GUNS 2 ROSES

That's Kendrick Lamar and Guns 2 Roses dealt with. Let's get on with some dance music.


Ambient Babestation Meltdown has got everyone here at Best Promos r-r-r-r-r-r-really hot under the collar because of the word "Babestation" in her name. Phwoar. Babestation - remember that, fellas? Eh? Babestation. What's that, Pottsy, Babestation is still going? I'll have to check it out later on and text in for a personalised wave, if you know what I mean...

...Ambient Babestation Meltdown (GREAT artist living in GREAT Britain) has worked together as a team with JBS (Disco Biscuit head honcho from Europe) to release a new 4-track EP on the Optimo Music label. It's called Who Goes There and it's out THIS FRIDAY.

Is it good? Yes.


Why?

Well, the first track, Litany, whilst not having any proper beats is something you can certainly start your set with. Litany has got Ambient Babestation Meltdown whispering about fear over the sound of the wind and the noise it makes when you unplug the jack from your electric guitar and stand it up near a speaker. This is the Ambient side of Ambient Babestation Meltdown on show, and it really sets you up nicely for the rest of the EP.

"Somewhere, there is a crime happening." Yes there is, Ambient Babestation Meltdown, and it's the crime of people NOT buying this EP! LOL. I genuinely (not really, only joking) think that buying Who Goes There by Ambient Babestation Meltdown and JSB should be written into law for all Britons over the age of sixteen, with the punishment for breaking that law and not buying it: three years in prison, no parole. I don't think a judge in the land who likes beefy, dirty bass and sultry female vocals over a casual drum and snare pattern would let anyone walk free for not buying this. And I'll throw away the key! Or pull the lever. Dead or Alive is the excellent second track.


After the dance track in the club-style chaos of Dead or Alive, Ambient Babestation Meltdown and SJB slow things down a bit with The Other Place and let us all catch our breath. Plinky plonky keys and more spoken-word rapping by Ambient Babestation Meltdown that, in my opinion, is better than Kendrick Lamar, makes this the best third track on an EP I've EVER heard.

"Eyes, like sun spots. Red crystals swallows whores, save yourself. On. On. On. Brad crystals in a crimson mist." I don't know what Ambient Babestation Meltdown is going on about, to be honest, but I'm swaggering about the box room listening to it on full blast, bumping into my desk and chair with a really peculiar look on my face, and I really don't care. Listening to The Other Place makes you feel arrogant, in a good way.


Ambient Babestation Meltdown and BJS finish Who Goes There with the title track, Who Goes There. If I was in charge of this release, I would have insisted that the title track goes first on the EP. That is my only quibble with this release, but I shan't let it cloud my enjoyment of it. This track is a bit like Litany, but with occasional beats and the vocal volume turned down a bit. It's also got a sawing sound which makes it sound like your ears are being shaved off by an angry Mexican drug cartel goon in every 15+ series on Netflix. What's not to love?!

If you buy the trendy cassette version of this EP, you get a banging mix by Ambient Babestation Meltdown on the other side that, thankfully, only has an ambient bit  some tech house at the very beginning, where it should be.

Hmm. After much consideration, and the surprising realisation that I once went to a live show of Athletico Mince with JBS in Leicester Square, I'm going to give this a nepotistic and "jobs for the boys" Ransom Note alumni score of 10/10


Who Goes There EP by Ambient Babestation Meltdown and JBS is out on Friday 1 July 2022 on Optimo Music.

Pre-order the digital release hereWho Goes There EP
Ask around east London for the cassette version: if you know people, you know people
Follow Ambient Babestation Meltdown on Twitter@RachaelWilliams
Follow Ambient Babestation Meltdown on Instagram/rachaelshevaunwilliams/

Furthermore, I hope Ambient Babestation Meltdown doesn't bottle it further on in her career when she gets more famous and change her name to something more sensible, like Rachel Steve Davis or Radio 4 Williams or something. Keep the faith.

I was going end today's post with a bit about how there seems to be a higher proportion of nutters on the streets and buses of Birmingham than there are in London, but I don't have any facts or figures to back that claim up with, so I'm going to leave it.

I also started to write something about there being no colour pictures of Regis and that I'd never seen him play live, so I thought that he was an urban myth or an NFT prank, but then I saw these pictures (below) and my bit fell apart. I also remembered that I met him at a party years ago and he was a very nice man, and nowhere near as moody or monochrome as he is in his black and white photographs.


If you ever get the chance to meet Regis, you should. He's alright *thumbs up emoji*

I also have a hilarious lookalike that I'm going to save for next week. It's the singer out of Supergrass looking a bit like the leader out of the Bee Gees. LOL

See ya!

Email me on : BestPromos4Eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva
Instagram me/BestPromos4Eva/





No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...