Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Raw Mix Unobtainable

When I was a kid, I honestly to God thought the older I got the more better I'd get at writing and you know what & I was big right on it.!! Not only is everyone at Best Promos really clever and handsome, we're all also really dead good at writing, and all, AND we're dead very good at writing about dance music! I'll tell you that!

But not only that, I'm a musical genius. It's boring now to talk about the two soup girls, but at the time I did this remix, it was still cool to talk about them. I did this because the one who did all the talking, the pink haired leader, sounds a bit like Anne Clark! LOL

Have a listen:

It's really good isn't it?

"How did you do it?"

Well, using Any Video Convertor. I ripped a karaoke version of Our Darkness off of YouTube and then ripped the audio of the soup protestors. I then opened Ableton, lumped both of the MP3s in and...I'm afraid that's where I have to draw the curtain. I can't give away all of my super studio secrets!

*winking smiley face*

Suffice to say, it's a tremendous edit/remix/thing that deserves a lot more attention than it's had, and, if you think about it, what the Best Promos "More Soup, Vicar?!" Remix really is, is an artistic representation of the very act of throwing soup all over a beloved work of art by Just Stop Oil, in that we at Best Promos have thrown a metaphorical tin of tomato soup all over a fab work of art, too, and glued our hands to the figurative wall of the Dance Music Museum of Modern Art. Anne Clark's Our Darkness is just as important to people who like dance music as Van Gogh's Sunflowers is to people who pretend to like walking around art galleries in silence, stroking their chin and acting like they know what they're looking at, and by gluing our hands to it and chucking soup all over Anne Clark, we're sending a message of solidarity, yeah, to everyone who, like, thinks that the Tories are complete BARRRSTARDS! Yeah!

Bloody Tories, eh?!

Oof. I feel all pent up now. Let's listen to some dance music and release the tension...

...Man2.0 has got a new EP out at the moment, and it's r-r-r-r-r-r-really good. It's called Levitate, and if I'm not mistaken, it's a clever piece of social commentary. I've interpreted the title of this EP as a rallying call to the Just Stop Oil and XR lot to put some fingerless gloves on and gather around the barrel fire of hate against the TORY POLITICIANS like Liz Truss, Kenneth Clarke, Jeremy Hunt and James Miliband who just think they're above us all, like, levitating above us, you know what I mean? It's a really heavy hammer to the establishment, man. You've got to hear it.

Yeah.

So, Man2.o, I mean, Man2.0, has already created a movement with the choice of title for EP, but what does the music sound like? Have a listen to this:


And this:

It's evil, isn't it, that second one? It's the kind of thing Daniel Avery would play at the start of one of his sets, or the type of thing Erol Alkan would play at the end of one of his. Those two are worth the price of the EP alone, but what you get on top of them is not one, not two, but three, THREE, more songs on it. There's a corking Stockholm Youth remix of that evil one, Gilead, a track called OumuaMua, which sounds like a sped up mid-80s Depeche Mode instrumental on acid (or steroids, or something), and a song called Stammer, w-w-w-w-which is r-r-r-r-r-r-really g-g-g-g-g-g-good.

Honestly, if I didn't have a promo copy of this EP, I'd definitely get down to my nearest Beatport shop and buy it.

Buy it not because you hate the Tories, buy it because it's got a solid 10/10 on Best Promos.

Levitate by Man2.0 is OUT NOW on Nein Records on Beatport, OUT LATER on Bandcamp.

Buy itLevitate
Follow Man2.0 on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Nein Records on Twitter and on Instagram

Rumble, rumble.

Rumble, rumble.

Don't worry, readers, I've not fallen down a hill, that's the sound of the big, plastic mixing bowl I've got on my lap. I've filled it up with all the recent MP3 promos I've been sent and am jumbling it all up with a wooden spoon. Pottsy has blindfolded me (and yes, he's already tried to tie my shoelaces together and pull my trousers down!), and I'm about to pick a new promo out to review at random, like in the FA Cup draw.

Do you remember when Rod Stewart did it drunk?! LOL

Right, here we go. Today's second dance music review is...

...

...it's Space Dimension Controller with, I don't know how you pronounce this. Crow two ma? Cro²ma by Space Dimension Controller. And I'll be playing that EP at home.

That concludes today's draw because after this review, I'm plugging a party by Sticky Heat at The Social. I'm always going on about The Social.

Cro²ma is on the terrific Hypercolour record label and, let me tell you, this is a terrific release by a terrific young man. Mark Hamill’s "Space Dimension Controller project has delivered some of the most enduring electronic music in recent times. Via single and album releases for the likes of Ninja Tune, Royal Oak, Dekmantel and Aus Music, SDC has thrilled with a certain timeless sound that has embodied science fiction swirling tones, glitchy and granular beats and a nostalgia for electronic music that always sounds futuristic.

On the ‘Cro²ma’ EP, SDC serves up a trio of intoxicating productions for the Hypercolour label. Highly accessible, yet detailed and intricate in design, Space Dimension Controller soaks all three tracks with sanguine melodies and bass blippy frolics that make for an exemplary release from the seasoned producer."

I didn't write any of that, but I agree wholeheartedly with EVERY word except the word, "blippy". I would have used the lines "bass in your face", "bass line" or "bass bleeped", but don't let that take away the enjoyment of the EP itself. I didn't. Have a listen to this:


It's good, isn't it? I don't know if Jack Hamill is rallying against anything with this release, or making any kind of political statement, but I do know that it's a very professional sounding EP with loads of bits in it that will make you dance, scream, shout AND think, and for that, I can only award it a 10/10.

My favourite track on it is the third track, Highborne, because it's the only one with a normal track title.

It's not out until FRIDAY 4 NOVEMBER 2022, so keep listening to that Soundcloud clip until it is out, and pre-order it on the link below.

Pre-order it hereCro²ma | Space Dimension Controller
Follow Space Dimension Controller on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Hypercolour on Twitter and on Instagram


Last November, I went to see Justin Robertson at The Social, and it was not only refreshing to be on a dancefloor for the first time in ages because of Covid (remember Covid?), it was also a massive kick up the arse for me to start writing about dance music again after an extremely long few years spent in self-imposed blogging and social media exile. So, Justin, if you're reading this: thanks, mate! It genuinely was a brilliant experience, especially when he played that Candido track. I had a fabulous time, and it got me thinking seriously about being creative again, so it was all a big win win.

Wasn't it, readers?

Yes.

Well, Justin Robertson is back at The Social this November for the northern powerhouse middle-aged dance party promotion, Sticky Heat. He's there on Bonfire Night, actually, so there's bound to be FIRE WORKS in central London that night! LOL. I might even go along with my friend, Catherine Wheel! LOL. It's bound to be a...CRACKER! LOL. I hope the dancefloor doesn't, erm, no, err, Sticky Heat resident, Marco Giannini, is bound to ROCK IT (rocket)! LOL 


I'm going to watch West Brom at QPR with my dad that day, so if I'm able to come, I'll come. I said that about the Ransom Note party the other week, to be honest, but I definitely couldn't make it that night, and I'm still a bit nervous about seeing Wil after all these years in the blogging wilderness...or am I?

Anyway, my dad hhhhhhhhhates dance music, so if I can lose the old man, maybe I'll come along. Alternatively, if Justin Robertson can agree in writing, on Twitter or something, to only play songs by Billy Joel, James Taylor, Boz Scaggs, Steely Dan, Billy Joel, The Doobie Brothers, the Steve Miller Band, Billy Joel, Rufus Wainwright, Amy Winehouse, Billy Joel and Thin Lizzy all night, we'll definitely both be there.

I've got a feeling in me bones that it'll be a WHOPPING 10/10 kind of night.

Sticky Heat with Justin Robertson, Muddy Feet, Massey and Marco Giannini at The Social is on Saturday 5 November 2022 for ONLY £12.50 per ticket. That's less than a round of drinks.

Buy tickets hereskiddle/TheSocial/StickyHeat
Follow Sticky Heat on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Justin Robertson on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Marco Giannini on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Massey on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow Muddy Feet on Twitter and on Instagram
Follow The Social on Twitter and on Instagram

And finally, last week I put one of them Breton tops on and a beret, and I stared intently at a big, blank canvas with a pencil, a pen, some paint brushes, an easel and some expensive paint in my hand, and started scratching my chin with my other hand. After remembering that I'm not very good at painting, I logged onto my PC and opened up Microsoft Paint and made this instead:


It's one of those personal collages that people do to tell a story about their life and to show how cool their tastes are. I'm very proud of it, and I think it could sell as an NFT for millions of Bitcoins.

I just hope those troublemakers from Just Stop Oil don't burst in on this blog and lob soup all over it! LOL. Ooh, hang on a minute...what's going on here??!!! Woah! What the bloody hell you doing? SECURITY!!!!!


Grr. Those pesky kids!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

See you next week, gang.

Email me: BestPromos4Eva@gmail.com
Tweet me@BestPromos4Eva
Instagram me/bestpromos4eva/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun Time Friday Part VII

Well, it's that time of the week again (Friday) where I can't really be bothered to write a thousand words on here, but do need to k...